Cannibalism suspects. PHOTO/RIA NOVOSTI
Russian police appear to have discovered one of the world’s most grisly cases of cannibalism after pictures of dismembered bodies were found on a phone belonging to one of the main suspects, Russia’s state media reported Monday.
The gruesome case in the southern Krasnodar region has led to the arrest of a 35-year-old man and his wife, both of whom are alleged to have murdered as many as 30 people since 1999 and consumed parts of the bodies, Russian media reported. Police have identified seven victims so far.
Media reported that the couple, now detained, had savagely murdered, dismembered and eaten between 7 to 30 people, even making canned ‘food’ out of human flesh, storing it for later consumption, and taking selfies with the remains.
Police reportedly raided the couple’s apartment building and found over half-a-dozen body parts, canned flesh, body parts in saline solution, frozen human meat, and ‘recipes’ for cooking a human. Fragments of bodies were also reported to be found in the courtyard and in the basement.
The crimes were uncovered when a cell phone, which included images of the man posing with a dismembered female victim, was found on a street in Krasnodar earlier this month. The remains of the woman were found in a bag nearby the following day, according to the official news agency RIA Novosti.
At first, the man denied having killed the woman, claiming he had found the remains and had taken photographs of himself with them, before losing his phone.
A source told state news agency RIA Novosti that many of the details of the case were yet to be confirmed, but added that “at the moment, law enforcement had discovered a glass jar with a canned hand.”
“According to the owner of a cell phone that had been lost before, this is one of those hands with which he made a selfie,” the source told RIA Novosti.
The source told RIA Novosti that so far the man had admitted to only two murders — that of the female victim identified in the cell phone photos, and of another person in 2012.
CNN has reached out to the Investigative Committee in Moscow for confirmation of the details of the case, the latest in a string of serial killings in Russia.
Earlier this year, former policeman Mikhail Popkov was charged with 60 additional murders in addition to 22 that had already resulted in convictions. He carried out the killings over nearly twenty years.
The 35-year-old male suspect was detained earlier this month after the remains of a victim were found in a military aviation school dormitory. Days earlier, a phone was recovered by road workers on a street containing photos appearing to show the suspect posing for selfies with body parts.
The suspect admitted to taking photos with the victim, but denied killing her, saying he merely found the body and wanted to take a selfie with it.
His partner, a 42-year-old nurse, has reportedly confessed to being involved in preying on, kidnapping, killing and eating at least 30 victims since 1999.
You can either BECOME A SPONSOR or MAKE A CONTRIBUTION
Nelson Mandela once said: “A critical, independent, and investigative press is the lifeblood of any democracy. The press must be free from state interference. It must have the economic strength to stand up to the blandishments of government officials. It must have sufficient independence from vested interests to be bold and inquiring without fear or favor. It must enjoy the protection of the constitution, so that it can protect our rights as citizens.”
If you like our journalism support us to continue bringing you groundbreaking and agenda setting stories.